Twitter

Friday 23 December 2011

Connections

I was on my way here from Facebook via Twitter and Goodreads when it suddenly struck me how bloody lucky I am. I mean I'm sitting here in a house in a wee town in Northern Ireland and within seconds of firing up my ancient, growling beastie of a computer I have the world at my fingertips. I can connect with friends I see every day, with family overseas and with new friends that I'll never meet anywhere other than cyberspace.
The Internet, world-wide web, whatever you want to call it has a lot of 'issues' and dangers but that gift of being able to make a connection with someone on the other side of the planet is a treasure. If someone had told me back when we first started painstakingly entering code into the ridiculous hulking monstrosities that passed for computers when I was at school, that someday I would be 'meeting' people every morning via a virtual world, chatting via web-cam or exchanging gifts through a screen, I'd have laughed my thick black school tights off!
But here I am, making connections, finding new friends, resurrecting old friendships, exploring parts of the world I'd never otherwise see (publishing books for goodness sake!) and enjoying every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment