Twitter

Saturday 7 January 2012

Little further forward

It can't be four days since I wrote something up here, can it?

What have I be doing with myself to be so negligent? Well, I've bought some new books from Waterstone's, read a couple of them, got some feedback from a beta reader of my third book (they enjoyed the story but I left out a character at the end when I was closing all the threads - oops!), cleaned most of the house (except for my cave where I write - disturbances in there make me jumpy...well, it's how notes get lost!) and totally erased the 20,000+ words of the new book from my computer.

Yep, you read that correctly - I erased the new book. On purpose.

Why?

It just wasn't working. The main character had gone all grumpy and wasn't speaking to me anymore (I know how that sounds but that's how it feels) so I had no idea where she was or what she was doing, the hero was turning into a wimp, the whole 'feeling' of it was wrong and so I just cracked, erased it and had some wine.

And the result? The main character is speaking to me again - in fact she won't shut up so I didn't get much sleep last night. Her story has a strong beginning, her character is now fully formed (and quite formidable) and I'm itching to get started again. Monday morning first thing I'm going to retreat to the cave and let her talk, let her tell her story and see if my unimpressive typing skills can keep up. Roll on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment